What are Cracked Heels?
Heel fissures, or cracked heels, happen when the skin on the bottom of your heel becomes hard and dry. Mostly, if the cracks are minor, it is merely a nuisance and looks unpleasant. However, if they are left untreated and the heel fissures become deeper, it can be painful to walk on and may become infected.
What causes Cracked Heels?
Common causes include:
- Taking hot baths or long showers
- Using harsh soaps
- Having cold, dry skin
- Dry, cold weather
- Frequent travelling between different climates
- Standing for long periods
- Ill-fitting footwear
- Wearing of covered shoes for prolonged periods
- Medical conditions such as
- Fungal infection
- Hypothyroidism, in which your thyroid doesn’t make enough of certain hormones
- Sjögren’s syndrome, a chronic condition that prevents your body from making enough moisture
How can our Podiatrists help?
If you are suffering from pain from cracked heels, do consult our experienced podiatrists who can relieve your symptoms by thoroughly debriding the heel fissures to allow effective emollient therapy. The treatment procedure is painless! Our podiatrists will then advise on the application of appropriate moisturising creams to prevent recurrence. Look forward to having baby feet again!