Fungal nail infection, also known as onychomycosis, affects fingernails or toenails.
Causes, common signs and symptoms:
- A fungal nail infection occurs from the overgrowth of fungi in, under, or on the nail. Fungi thrive in warm, moist environments.
- It occurs when fungi invades nails that have been damaged by shoes, trauma or sporting activity. Fungus often grows at the end of the nail plate and continues to spread underneath, forming white chalky plaques on the nail surface.
- As the infection progresses, yellowish and brownish discolouration may start to occur. Further cell damage by the fungus to the nail can also cause the nail to thicken and change in shape.
- If you have come in contact with someone else who has a fungal infection, it may spread to you. This infection is contagious and may result in pain, discomfort and an undesirable appearance.
- Visible signs of a fungal nail infection include:
- thickening, discolouration and staining of the nail plate
- scaling under the nail
- white or yellow streaks
- crumbly nail edges
- flaky white areas, which may involve pits in the nail.
- appearance of yellow spots at the base of the nail
- nail detached from nail bed
How podiatry can help
Physio & Sole Clinic offers nail fungus treatment in Singapore. Our podiatrists are trained to diagnose fungal infections as well as recommend and administer different types of toenail fungus treatment. We offer more conservative types of treatment as well as advanced, pain-free light therapy.
- The most common methods of treatment for fungal nails are oral medications or laser treatment. However, oral medication may pose significant side effects on the liver. Laser treatment has also been reported to be painful. Over-the-counter topical products can also treat nail infections but they do not provide reliable results.
- During your podiatry appointment, the podiatrist will trim and thin the nails to physically remove fungi affected areas to allow better penetration of antifungal treatment. Anti-fungal topical medicament, available at Physio & Sole Clinic must be applied daily. It treats the infected nail, while preventing the infection from spreading to neighbouring nails. Treatment may require 3 months or longer depending on the severity of the infection.
- At Physio & Sole Clinic, Photodynamic Antimicrobial Therapy (PACT ®) Therapy, the latest state-of-the-art antifungal light therapy, is available. This painless treatment method has no adverse side effects, unlike oral medication. It is scientifically proven to be extremely effective in destroying fungal cells and our clinic has had great success with fungal nail treatment.
How Does PACT® Work?
- Photodynamic therapy involves the interaction of light, a photosensitive agent and oxygen to produce a localised chemical effect. This photochemical reaction induces fungal cell death without affecting surrounding tissue, which means it is a completely safe treatment method!
- A single PACT session involves the following:
- The podiatrist will confirm diagnosis of nail fungus and check for suitability of PACT.
- All affected fungal nail areas will be trimmed and filed down with sterile, specialised podiatry instruments.
- A gel is then applied to the nail and left to absorb for 5-10 minutes. This gel stains the fungal cells, making them sensitive to the light emitted by the PACT LED lamp.
- The PACT LED light is applied for 9.5 minutes, penetrating the nail and destroying fungal cells.
Our Success Cases
Our patients typically come in after trying all kinds of toenail fungus treatment and had no significant improvement. Their fungal problems have plagued them for many years.
20 year old fungal problem
Does PACT® Nail Fungus Therapy Have Any Side Effects?
PACT nail fungus therapy is 100% safe with no known contra-indications. Repeated exposure to the light does not produce any adverse effects. Following a PACT treatment session the nail will retain a slight blue discolouration. This will vanish over a few days.
How Do I Get My Fungal Nails Treated With PACT®?
You can make an appointment with any of our Podiatrists. Our podiatrists will assess your toenails for suitability of PACT. We will explain the treatment process in detail, structure your treatment plan and schedule your PACT nail treatments.
Contact our team today for effective and pain free nail fungus treatment in Singapore. Book an Appointment