What you need to know about physiotherapy and podiatry.
If you suffer from frequent and unrelenting foot pain, you’re not alone. Foot pain can be a debilitating condition for many and it impacts their daily lives including walking and exercise. While many of the causes of foot pain can be chronic conditions or trauma, there are a number of treatments and pain management options including custom orthotics. Depending on your feet condition and structure, custom insoles may be an effective answer to your foot pain.
Custom orthotics are prescription medical grade insoles inserted into shoes to correct biomechanical foot issues such as irregular or abnormal walking, moving or standing patterns that cause pain. Custom orthotics act as pressure relievers from painful areas of the foot and ankle, and are great shock absorbers.
In Singapore, many people suffer from foot pain when walking. A custom orthotics prescription can greatly alleviate these pains. This includes those who:
Additionally, look out for these 6 signs that are indicators you may need custom insoles:
1. You have foot pain or swelling that occurs often during or after simple activities like standing or walking around.
2. You have problems with balance or are falling over. This can happen especially in older adults whose arches may collapse and lead to flat feet related balance issues.
3. You have sharp heel pain especially in the morning. This can be a sign of plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the thick band of tissue running from your heel bone to your toes.
4. You have a lower limb injury that has affected the way you walk. At times, injuries to your lower limbs may alter your way of walking and it is best to ensure your feet are properly supported to reduce the likelihood of further pain or injury.
5. You have lower back pain. If you experience lower back pain especially due to being on your feet for long periods of time, proper support for your feet can absorb jarring shock at its source and provide relief.
6. Your shoes are wearing out unevenly. The soles of your shoes may be more worn out on the inside or outside indicating flat feet or high arches, or one of the shoes may be more worn than the other if you have a significant difference in leg lengths.
If you have these feet conditions or signs, you’ll likely require custom insoles as well as specific shoes suited for you. Getting a proper assessment by a foot pain specialist can help identify the right support you’ll require for your feet structure.
There are two options for custom insoles — fully customised and semi-customised. Fully custom orthotics are made from 3D scans of your feet and are designed to contour to your feet structure. Semi-customised orthotics are prescribed from pre-set templates and the template closest to your feet structure will be selected.
The first step to getting fitted for custom insoles is a biomechanical consultation by a podiatrist involving a full lower limb assessment, gait analysis, manual therapy or sports taping application as well as any exercise prescriptions. This session will cost around S$150 – S$180, and following which the podiatrist can advise on suitable insoles.
Semi and fully customised insoles are S$400 and S$575 respectively. For fully customised insoles, the cost is inclusive of 3D scans of your feet and an accurate prescription by the podiatrist to manage your feet condition and correct your feet posture. Both types of insoles require 2-3 weeks to be ready and are made from the same materials with similar durability and comfort.
Wondering which type of orthotics you should go for? Physio & Sole Clinic’s team of licensed and experienced podiatrists are here to guide you in making the right choice, from conducting the initial biomechanical assessment to advising on the right insoles for your specific feet condition. Get in touch with us for an appointment at one of our convenient locations islandwide or send us your orthotics enquiries via our Whatsapp A Podiatrist service at 91754929. We look forward to assisting you in carrying out your daily activities in comfort.