Also known as insoles or shoe inserts, they are designed to support, align, prevent or correct deformity and improve the function of the foot. Orthoses benefit by:
- Reducing pain or problems in the lower limb by offloading, correcting and/or supporting the foot. It is useful in conditions such as flat feet, bunions and clawed toes
- Improving balance, especially in children with flat feet
- Improving shoe fit and comfort
- Improving weight distribution and posture
- Improving chronic and acute sports injuries
- Eliminating low back pain originating from leg length inequalities
- Preventing future problems associated with lower limb abnormalities
Orthoses can be custom made or prefabricated. Depending on the materials used, orthoses are generally durable and last as long as eight years. They are easily transferable between different types of footwear.
Who needs foot orthotics?
As custom insoles assist with everything from walking pain-free to alleviating chronic pain, many people can benefit from being prescribed one. This is especially true for people who are:
- Pronators or people whose arches are falling and whose ankles are rolling inwards. This condition is colloquially called being flat-footed.
- Supinators or people who have a very high arch, causing the foot to roll outwards.
- Afflicted by arthritis
- Afflicted by Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT) disease
- Injured from sports or exercise.
People with the abovementioned conditions will also need the right type of shoes for their specific foot problems. Before looking for specialised shoes and custom insoles in Singapore it is best to get a proper assessment to ensure that you have the right support.
For a consultation and a thorough assessment, feel free to book an appointment with our podiatrists.
How can a Podiatrist help?
- Foot orthoses which are prescribed accurately can be comfortable and essential to your daily activities. Custom-made foot orthoses, specially tailored to the patients’foot type, weight, sport and footwear, can achieve better control and comfort than a standard prescription. Physio & Sole Clinic’s podiatrists use state-of-the-art 3D scanners to accurately capture our patients’ feet profiles. This enables us to customise the insoles/orthotics to perfectly fit our patient’s feet. Whether you need insoles for flat feet or to reduce heel pain, we’ll make sure that you walk out of our clinic with the right support.
Our podiatrists can provide this treatment for you. Book an Appointment