What is Schroth?
- The Schroth Method is a type of Physiotherapy Specific Scoliosis Exercise Programme (PSSE). It is a non-surgical treatment option for scoliosis and is focused on early intervention.
- It is targeted for idiopathic scoliosis: A sideways bending of the spine greater than 10 degrees accompanied by rotation of the spine, which has no known cause.
- A customized exercise programme will be tailored for each scoliosis patient under a physiotherapist’s supervision to achieve a neutral and balanced posture.
- It can only be conducted by a certified Schroth physiotherapist.
When can Schroth be initiated?
- Depending on a few factors, Schroth can be done at different time points. A trained physiotherapist will need to assess if Schroth is a suitable treatment option for your scoliosis depending on your age, curve size and goals of treatment.
- Schroth can be conducted:
- For milder curves: To achieve better posture and possibly minimize progression to reduce chances of bracing
- Together with bracing: To assist in reducing the side effects of bracing (e.g muscle wasting). It can also improve the efficacy of the brace
- Before surgery to maintain the mobility of the curve to achieve maximal correction, or
- Post-operation to regain strength and achieve a balanced posture
What are the general aims of Schroth?
- To improve postural balance by aiming for 3-dimensional postural correction
- Understanding your scoliosis and having the ability to cope with the scoliosis by focusing on active treatment
- Diminish any functional limitations: e.g. control of pain, improving rib-cage mobility
How can our physiotherapists help?
Book an Appointment
- Please feel free to Whatsapp any queries to our Ask A Physio Whatsapp service at 9899 7967 and our physiotherapists will be happy assist you.
- If Schroth is not a suitable programme for you, our physiotherapists can also assist with general scoliosis management such as:
- General posture awareness
- Pain management and Stretching / Strengthening exercises